1. To protect the liver: Cassia seed extract is a tonic for the eyes, kidney, liver and bowel. It is useful to address liver fire, a diagnostic pattern in traditional Chinese medicine. Symptoms of liver fire are irritability, headache, red face, tinnitus and sleep problems.
2. Laxative: All parts of the cassia plants contain anthraquinones, which impart a laxative property to the cassia seed extract. Cassia seed tea helps hydrate the large intestinal tract to loosen the bowels. To get best results, the extract should be taken as it is, without prior boiling or anything similar.
3. Antisepsis: One of the impressive cassia seed extract benefits is inhibiting growth of fungi that cause skin infections. For this, the powder is added in sterile water to make an infusion. The extract is then used for various types of topical infections caused by fungi.
4. Antimycotic: For combating bacteria, an alcohol infusion of cassia seed extract is prepared and used. It is effectual to impair growth of various bacterial strains, including Bacillus coli, Staphylococcus and Bacillus diphtheriae amongst others.
5. Increased effectiveness: Containing retinoic acid, the use of cassia seeds and their products for improving vision is documented in alternative medicine. For increased effectiveness, they are taken in combination with dodder seeds and other curative herbs.
6. Eye Protection: In herbal medicine, cassia seed extract usage includes treatment of bloodshot eyes (conjunctive congestion) and other eye problems. A specific amount of gentian root is often used with cassia seed extract for the same purpose.
7. Weight Reduction: As far as intake of cassia seed extract for weight loss is concerned, dietary products based on this herbal extract are available in the market. However, the safety of this herbal formulation as a weight loss aid is not proven scientifically.
8. Hypolipidemic: Cassia seed extract benefits for boosting weight loss may be related to its laxative properties. And the reduction in body weight is attributed to water loss, and not loss of fat. So, using cassia seeds results in temporary weight loss effect.
9. Others: The promotion of gastric secretion, promoting digestion; Regulation of the immune; Lower blood pressure.